rat & rodent removal & control
The most common rodent infestation in the UK is from rats. There are various species of rats with slightly different characteristics. However, the main species encountered in the UK is the Brown Rat (Rattus Norvegicus), also known as the Common Rat or Sewer Rat.
Rats can spread diseases including; Leptospirosis (or Weil’s disease), Salmonella, Listeria, Toxoplasma gondii and Hantavirus. They also cause serious structural damage through gnawing and cause house fires from damaging electrical cabling.
- Rat droppings: Rat droppings are dark brown in a tapered, spindle shape – like a grain of rice.
- Rub marks: Grease and dirt on their bodies leaves smudges on surfaces.
- Scratching noises: Some rats are good climbers and can be found in roof spaces so you may hear scratching noises in your walls or attic.
- Rat holes: Rats can dig burrows for shelter and storage. Common places for these can be around decking, or in vegetation.
- Rat nests: Rats will shred available materials such as loft insulation, plastic waste, cardboard and other soft items to make nests.
- Footprints: Rats leave foot and tail marks in dusty, less-used areas of buildings.
There are many factors to consider when treating rats, such as risk to non target species, the area and severity of the infestation, legislation and risk to public health. Our team have access to professional grade supplies and can identify the best option to quickly and effectively treat an infestation. For most domestic infestations 3 visits are usually scheduled. Commercial treatments vary and we can discuss this with you.
Rats spread disease and breed rapidly, meaning the situation can quickly go from bad to worse. It is best to contact a professional as soon as possible. The local authority are also obliged to enforce treatment of rats on their own land, as well as private property (at the expense of the owner), under the Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949.
Why use fix my pests?
What to expect with a rat control booking
You will receive a response within the day from our team who will be able to provide a quotation, and schedule a visit at a time and date to suit you. On the day of the visit, you will receive a text with a live update when the technician is on their way, and the option to track them on your phone.
When booking, you will be required to agree to our one-page Covid document. We will wear a mask and also maintain social distance at all times.
Our technician will identify the cause of the infestation, the best treatment method, and advise on the way forward. As we are often required to leave equipment on site, we will charge on the first visit for additional visits required on domestic rat control jobs, and agree a time and date for follow up before leaving.
We accept payment via cash, bank transfer or card, and all customers will be provided with an invoice, detailed treatment report, and advice.